Project Coordinator Intern - Samudaya Learning Garden Center - Nepal
Location: Kevin Rohan Memorial Eco Foundation (KRMEF)
Khahare, Dakinshali Municipality, Kathmandu, Nepal
Start date: Immediate
Hours: up to 20 hours per week, with flexible/variable schedule, and a minimum commitment of 6 months.
Note: This is an unpaid internship; however, room and board (3 delicious meals per day, prepared onsite at Leela’s Eco Café), and access to internet at KRMEF are included with this position.
Reports to: front porch and KRMEF Operations Director.
Project Overview: The Samudāya Learning Garden Center (SLGC) project answers the need to improve food security and implement multi-year, resilience-focused development activities in rural Nepal and is in direct support of KRMEF’s goals to create and implement environmentally responsible programs, promote and encourage sustainable community development, and empower women.
Position Overview: The SLGC Intern will gain hands-on experience in project management and coordination by directly supporting community gardeners, volunteers, and foundation staff to cultivate, harvest and market organic vegetables and herbs. Prospective candidates new to biodynamic farming practices will have the ability to learn from the host organization and current staff gardeners. The Kevin Rohan Memorial Eco Foundation (KRMEF) successfully operates biodynamic gardening programs from which a variety of vegetables, fruits, and herbs thrive.
The ideal intern should be an organized, detail oriented, and self-motivated person with emerging leadership skills. A strong candidate will have the ability to function in a diverse, dynamic environment and possess basic project management skills. The selected candidate is expected to learn daily routines & procedures and will gain understanding of the functions, goals, and workings of the non-profit sector, including hands-on experience in biodynamic farming practices and project management.
It is required that the candidate has their own computer for use onsite.
Essential Roles & Responsibilities:
· Build and foster effective working relationships with community gardeners, volunteers, and the wider community.
· Build and foster effective working relationships with host organizations, local schools, and other community/agency partners.
· Work effectively with diverse communities in a culturally relevant way
· Attend relevant community partner meetings as a representative of front porch and KRMEF programs.
· Support infrastructure development, irrigation, garden maintenance, and cleanliness
· Provide site-level support of SLGC operations
· Support and assist Garden Manager
· Liaise between Garden Manager, KRMEF/front porch leadership, and community garden interns
· Assess, research, and purchase garden supplies & tools as needed
· Update project stakeholders on a weekly basis via photos & brief progress summaries
· Additional duties may be requested on an as-needed basis.
Minimum Qualifications (Physical, Education, and/or Experience):
· Strong work ethic
· Cooperative, service-oriented attitude and ability to work independently and take initiative
· Strong communication, interpersonal, & relationship development skills
· Flexibility & willingness to take on a variety of tasks and work collaboratively within a diverse team
· Fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and willing to wear a mask when needed
· Conversational Nepali, including ability to communicate complex concepts and instructions in both Nepali and English
· Ability to work outdoors with occasional intense physical activity, including walking, standing, bending, kneeling, reaching, cutting, and carrying (up to 10kg)
· Experience with social media content development & video conferencing platforms
· Experience with organic farming and/or permaculture principles & practices
· Knowledge & passion around sustainable community development, women’s empowerment, food justice, & food systems
· Familiarity with construction/contracting operations, i.e., project management/oversight
· Fluent (spoken and written) in Nepali and English
· Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree, particularly in the fields of organic/regenerative farming and/or business administration
To apply, please submit your resume and letter of motivation that highlights a few key achievements and skills to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Host Organizations:
Front Porch is an organization committed to connecting rural populations to resources required to improve the conditions of life and expand economic opportunities, focusing on developing human capacity and cultural continuity. Visit us at https://www.frontporch.world/
The Kevin Rohan Memorial Eco Foundation (KRMEF) works to foster health and well-being in Nepal’s most impoverished communities by encouraging sustainable change through environmentally friendly programs. We act as an education center for local people, allowing them opportunities to build productivity, cooperation and wellness for their own communities, launching Nepal into a future where sustainable, eco-friendly living is possible. Learn more at www.KMREF.org.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Front porch and KRMEF celebrates the strengths in differences and are fully committed to equal opportunities for all applicants. We seek a team that is reflective of the diverse communities we serve; thus, every potential candidate will be given consideration without regard to disability, medical condition, race, colour, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital or familial status, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.